As the afternoon went on, he continued to get sicker and in more pain. I called the doctor and they sent a doctor to our house, because now he couldn't get up. She told us it was probabally a migraine and gave him a prescription. Only problem is, that in the Netherlands, there are NO 24 hour pharmacy's. So, I had to get on my bike and bike to the hospital ER room to get the prescription. By the time I got back, it was 9pm, and I gave him the pill. They said, if it didn't get better in 2 hours, to call back.
Two hours later, Erik had the WORST headache of his life. He couldn't find ANY comfortable position, and was in the most pain of his life. He thought he was dying, and so did I. It was SO hard to see him like that and vomiting so much too! I called the doctor back, and they called an ambulance. The health care in Holland is SO much different than America. They don't prescribe drugs if they don't have to. They are SO laid back and slow! I called the doctor 3 times in 45 minutes to try to get the ambulance here. On the beach was the International Fireworks Festivle, and they said they were coming as quickly as possible. I wanted to get him in the car, and he was yelling at me to just get him to the hospital.
FINALLY, the amublance showed up. Two guys walked up, and had their hands in their pockets with NOTHING else! Erik had to walk down to the stretcher- 5 floors and was dying of pain. I followed in the car. Vanessa came to watch the kids over night. Thank goodness my cousin Eileen was still here...but she would have to leave in the morning for the airport.
We got to the hospital, and they gave him NOTHING for pain. He couldn't stand the pain at ALL. I was out crying, asking them "Just PLEASE give him something!" Finally, they walked in with a suppository, and opened it up and handed it to me, and walked out of the room! I was dying- ARE YOU KIDDING ME! So, I looked at Erik and told him that he asked for it, and to take it like a man!
He went in for a CAT Scan, and had a spinal tap, and blood work. All serious life threatening things were ruled out. They still don't know the exact cause of the headache. They got him resting more comfortably with pain killers- FINALLY. So, at 3:30am, they admitted him, and I went home to catch a few hours of sleep before my little ones were pulling on me!
The next morning, I met the Neurologist in his room, and they asked him if he drinks coffee. They asked how much, and he answered about 12-15 cups a day! Now I'm DYING of embaressment! I had NO idea he drank that much. They asked if he slept well at night, and he hasn't been since January. They said this could be a "Thunderclap" headache, and it could just come this once. It could be all the wear and tear on his body from the cycle of not much sleep, and lots of coffee to keep him awake. Whatever it was, it was a wake-up call.
He now is home from the hospital. He has been sleeping most of the weekend and resting. He still has a headache, especially when he stands. He will be going back to the doctor in the morning. He probabally now has caffine withdrawl. It's time to get him HEALTHY again! We are thankful for his Dad and his step-mom Deb being there for us on the phone the whole way through this ordeal. It was really scary happening in a different country, where health care is SO different! Four patients to a room in the ER, and two to four in the rooms on each floor...that is a HUGE difference from the US where you get your own room. So, consider yourselves lucky next time you go to the hospital or doctor.
During this time, Vanessa was a great help too. She stayed at our house for 3 nights, and I'm SO thankful for all the grocery shopping, and watching the kids she did for me! We would have been lost without her and are very lucky to have her as a good friend! She had the hardest job of anyone....dealing with a TWO year old! Man, oh MAN...I think I didn't notice this age with Curtis b/c i was so busy dealing with a newborn and because Curtis wasn't talking much at two. Johnny is SO stubborn. Here are some examples of what he said this weekend:
- "No, I don't want to go to the hospital to visit daddy."
- "I dont WANT to wear shoes ANYMORE!"
- "No I CAN'T do that." (Whenever I ask him to do ANYTHING!)
- "No Curtis! Don't DO THAT!"
- 'NO, NO, NO!!!!!!"
Tonight he threw a whole set of checkers pieces over our balcony....and they all fell five stories down! Thank GOD no one was below him. So, as Erik spent his weekend in the hospital, Johnny spent most of his in Time Out! I know this is just a faze, but it really got to me this weekend! I'm glad everyone is home now...and I'm sure this week will be better!
1 comment:
o man what a weekend!! im glad everything is ok! lol sounds like johnny is going through his terrible twos!:( my niece is doing the same thing! everything is no!
Post a Comment