Friday, September 7, 2007

My Embaressing Night

The past four weeks, we've started a tradition. Myself and two other "Stay-at-Home" dad's from America, all get together. We have met on the beach with the kids and had dinner at a restarant, and bowled a few times. Anyways, our spouses all work together, and we have kids the same ages. So, it's been a TON of fun! Last week we planned to meet at the bowling alley again. Then, I offered to have a chili dinner at my house, to kick-off the NFL season back in the USA. The guys were all over that!

This morning, I take a quick shower...then it was off to the park. The kids ran around. I then went to the grocery store to pick up some last items. Finally, it was back to the house, to cook a big pot of chili, and put the kids to sleep. I was busy cooking and doing laundry for most of the afternoon. When I was finished, I decided to lay down and read for a half hour. I had Vanessa coming at 4:00pm to watch Johnny. I thought I'd hop in the shower at 3:30, before she got here.

As the afternoon went on, it looked like only one person was coming for dinner, Jordan with his kids. So, I wasn't so much worried about having everything laid out, and perfect. Usually, I'm anal about that. Jordan is our neighbor, and from MN, so I'm pretty relaxed with him over, as we see each other many times a week.

At 3:30pm, I go to shower, and as I am in the bathroom, the doorbell rings. It's Jordan, with his kids. He is a half hour early! I toss on my yoga pants and running shirt. I go to the door. He's here early to watch the NFL pre-game show on our North American Sports Channel! (He doesn't get the channel at his house.) I welcome them in, and scratch taking a shower!

After I got them settled, I go back into the bathroom and decide to just spritz some perfume on, and pull back my hair. It's shorter now, and it looks terrible, b/c I didn't wash it today. But, I think to myself, "Oh, it's only Jordan, No Biggie!"

We head to the alley, me in my yoga pants and crappy hair, and Curtis in sweats! As we are in the third frame and Erik's boss's husband walks in with his child. He's a great person, fun, and really nice. But, I do feel a bit stupid, at the way I look. It's pretty muggy out. I start bowling and am sweating up a storm. Now I can smell myself. I'm embaressed and try to keep my distance from them. I'm smelly from biking the boys to the park, to get grocery's, and cleaning the house!

As the bowling ends, Erik's boss's hubby says that he's coming up to our house for dinner, and his wife (Erik's boss) is going to join us! NOW I'm feeling REALLY stupid! I tell them I'll meet them up there. I run home, and tell Vanessa, who starts picking up my house, and making it look nicer. I go to the bathroom and spray on MORE perfume, and try to make my hair not look greasy, flat, and asymetric. It's NOT working. I throw on a clean t-shirt with my yoga pants and crocs.

Finally, they all come up, and I serve the meal. I was just planning on serving the guys, and didn't have much thought into it. We didn't have enough bowls for all the kids and adults to eat from, I ran out of butter for the warm bread, and I only had wine from Aldi to offer his boss! I wish I had some warning that Erik's boss was coming over. That's men for you...they don't think about telling you! I felt SO gross all night long! I would have had appitizers, and been more organized- at least having enough bowls for everyone! I would have showered and actually worn normal clothes. I also would have warned Erik, so he didn't come home from work, to his boss sitting in our house! It was a very fun night, and she is a wonderful person! Next time, I hope I'm a bit more prepared for her visit, so I can feel more comfortable! What a night!

No comments: