Tuesday, September 25, 2007

How Motherhood Has Changed Me...

After the past few weeks, these bits and pieces keep popping into my mind. I thought I'd share them, because I think they are kind of funny!

Pre-Kids: One night, after Parent Teacher Conferences, I went home and said to Erik, "Parents bring in their toddlers and they run around the classroom, and throw FITS when the parents try to stop them. My kids will NEVER have fits!"

Post-Kids: YEAH RIGHT, spend a day with me now!

Pre-Kids: When I was teaching, it would blow my mind how a parent could bring their kids late to school. I would think to myself that they were unorganized!

Post-Kids: I do get my kids to school on time, but if I leave the house in ANYTHING other than yoga pants and a t-shirt, I'm REALLY on top of things!

Pre-Kids: When kids came to school with just a t-shirt on, and no jacket or sweatshirt, on cold days, I use to think to myself that it was almost like child abuse...watch the fricken weather!

Post-Kids: Watch the weather.... when should I do that? At night, when I am laying out the clothes, packing lunches, folding laundry and doing dishes? Or in the morning, after I am up with kids half the night, up at the butt crack of dawn making breakfast, getting the kids dressed, trying to shower, and get everyone out the door on time. (Can you tell that last week, it was MY kid out on the playground with a short sleeve shirt on and no coat?)

Pre-Kids: Whenever I forgot my lunch or lunch money, I would call my mom to bring it. She would always seem like it was a pain in the butt to drop it off for me. I USUALLY thought, what is she doing anyways at home all day long anyways?

Post-kids: (OK, POST-HUSBAND) When Erik forgets his wallet at home, and calls me to bring it to him, I have a canary. I'm busy, and it is a HUGE pain in the butt to load the kids in the car, and drive to work and back. It's at least an hour out of my day!

Pre-Kids: My sister Megan could never get her butt out of bed, and out the door on time for school. My mom always threatened to leave, and did one day. Megan woke up at 10:00am. I always wondered what the BIG deal was to wake her and poke her to get ready faster.

Post-Kids: (Scratch that, Post-HUSBAND again) I AM my mother. I tell Erik "AIS" ("Ass In Seat") 8:15am ! At 8:15 I leave and tell Erik I'm putting the kids in the car-If he isn't down in the car when I'm done, I'm leaving without him. ALMOST every day, he is running after the car in the parking lot. It won't be long until I pull a "Marge" and leave him to teach him a lesson.

So, mom, I'm sorry, it all WAS a big deal! Thanks for the lessons! Also, thinking back when I taught in the inner-city, I'm amazed parents got their kids to school at ALL! Just getting them out the door is an accomplishment in itself! I can relate to parents MUCH more now then I ever could before!


2 comments:

Megan said...

Laughing at this...but let's get serious-you ALWAYS have time for the weather! You really dropped the ball that day.

Here's my pre-kids based on watching you parent:
I will NEVER allow my kids to eat soft tacos in their car seats. Gag me.

Anonymous said...

Post Post Kids,
Now I get up. Have the bathroom to myself, make breakfast for one, out the door on time ( minus Megan)
Arriving at school with plenty of time to talk to my collegues----then it starts... I wait for my kids to arrive...
standing in the hall watching all these young mothers talking on their cell phones with a starbucks in their other hand, dragging their kid in wondering why they didn't listen to the weather... the circle of life!!