Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Playdate

Curtis has this friend at school, Mrinmoy. Mrinmoy is from India, and only speaks Bangladi. Curtis has ALWAYS really liked Mrinmoy, and talks about him all the time! We think it's SO funny, because we aren't quite sure how the two of them communicate. The teachers say they are "best buddies" and now Mrinmoy is speaking better English, and even some sentences. Today, Mrinmoy's mother, Mita, invited us over for a 'playdate" and lunch.

I have to say, I was quite nervous to go there. Living in a foreign country, it's always hard to know what's acceptable at other peoples houses. For instance, when you meet or greet a Dutch person, you kiss them three times. Once on one cheek, then on the other, and then back to the first cheek. When I greet my Scotish friends, we shake hands, and then kiss on the cheek. My British friends, kiss on one cheek. American friends either shake hands or hug. I get nervous about what is right and wrong...but usually I make a joke about it, and everyone has a laugh.

So, today, I was DYING to take pictures of our lunch at Mrinmoy's house. But, my camera, my NEW in October camera, is NOT working. Erik says that most cameras have a life of a few years, but with the amount of pictures I take, I might have already surpassed that!

When we got to Mrinmoy's house, his mother cooked dinner in the kitchen and kept telling me she didn't need any help. Then she comes out and sets the table for four. She brings out all these Indian dishes. I was very courious about what was in each dish- as I have never seen any of these in my life. She put each of the dishes on the plates. Then she told us all to sit. I said, "Where are you going to sit?" She told me that she wasn't, and she just REALLY wanted me to enjoy it.

So, here I am, at a table with three kids, getting waited on by a woman my age. She was like a waitress. She poured water, squirted our ketchup on our plates, took dishes away when we were finished, and even put napkins on us. It was uncomfortable for me, because it was SO wierd that she didn't join us. I tried to persuade her many times, but she just laughed and said it wasn't normal to sit with guests. So, of course, you know me. When I get nervous I turn into "motor mouth" and must have asked her a 100 questions.

The food was really different and good. To my surprise, even my kids tried it and liked it. Johnny would try something and say, "I DO like this- Yummy!" Mita was REALLY loving Johnny and holding him and playing with him. Of course he ATE this right up and felt like a King!

When it came time to clean up, I started to clear the table and help her with the dishes. She kept telling me to sit down, and she didn't want me to help. Finally she told me it was an insult to her, because if guests help clean up, then that means that they won't come to your house again. I told her, that she doesnt' have to worry...where I come from, if we don't help clear the table- it's not acceptable!

It's amazing to me, how different women are treated in different parts of the world. Two of the fathers in Curtis's class won't even make eye contact with me, because I'm a woman and not covered up by cloth. Don't worry, I say "Hi" to them EVERY day and my goal is to get them to talk to me by the end of the year! It really makes you appreciate life in the USA, and it's WONDERFUL to see a woman running for president!

On another note, I'm headed to Scotland with my friend Lynne on Thursday for an "ALL GIRLS WEEKEND!" We have been SO excited for this! It will be filled with loads of relaxing, shopping, eating, reading, and sight seeing! I'll post more on Monday when I get back. My camera broke at the WORST time! Thank goodness Lynne has a good one. She'll be sick of me asking for it by the end of the weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is so interesting! I can't wait to hear the update on the fathers...keep saying "Hi" they have got to give in sometime :)

Bailey said...

This is so true! In Spain, they do "dos besos" or two kisses when you meet someone and when saying goodbye. Confession: one time on the metro I stood up to give dos besos, the conductor hit the break hard, we all jerked around, and let's just say I can now say I've kissed a chick...a Spanish one at that. haha. It was SOOO horrible, I couldn't even think of what to say and in Spanish I was just stammering and finally was like "I hate your stupid Spanish kisses!!!" Now I try to avoid the besos all together....ughh, scared for life. haha