Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving

This week we wanted to give Lynne and her family the "WHOLE" Thanksgiving experience! We made turkey cookies with the kids. I had a great recipe from when I was younger, but, it was a bit too frustrating. So, we copied these off of some one's facebook page and they were super easy and cute!

Alan and I got up and left the house at 5:45am for the Turkey Trot!

A few thoughts on this experience. First, Alan was all business about getting to the race, which was 45 minutes north of the house. I on the other hand was all business about getting to the gas station to get my newspaper with all the Black Friday ads! I went up to get gas, and was going to fill up and then pay inside and get my newspaper at the same time. The pumps would not work, so I went in to tell the lady, and she acted like I should know that they are all "Pre-Pay" down here! Another experience when I thought to myself- "Katie, we are NOT in New Prague anymore!"

I wanted to get a paper and she said they were in the box outside and you needed cash to pay for it. This sent me into a tizzy, as I didn't have cash on me. So, I go to the car, and Alan is looking nervous about the time. I told him I NEEDED cash, and we had to tear the car apart for change! I had Erik's car and he doesn't keep change in it! So, we looked and looked and came up $0.55 short. Now, what Alan doesn't understand is I LIVE for Black Friday. I was feeling a panic attack coming on...when Alan remembered he had a dollar in a pocket in his backpack! Can you say- "Cha- Cha- CHINGA!"

So, I went in to get the paper, and came out and Alan was drinking his energy drink and eating nuts. I was so nervous about not getting a newspaper and now the race, that I had to go BACK in to go to the bathroom and Alan was TOTALLY getting annoyed at me! Luckily we are good friends and can give each other a hard time! (:

We drive to the race, Alan's first one in America, and mine in a year and a half. It was SO crazy busy! What I didn't take into consideration, was the laid back style of the south. They literally let people sign-up until the very last minute! So much last minute, that the race started 25 minutes late with all of us standing there waiting. They kept announcing every few minutes, "Just a few runners left to register!" Finally the gun went off, and the running began! There were two spots in the race where they didn't have it marked, and NO ONE knew where to go! It was unbelievable that with over 1,000 runners, they were so laid back! At the end, they had different types of race snacks than we do in the Midwest...such as buns, and Nutella spread! We decided to skip the snacks and I introduced Alan to Duncan Donuts breakfast sandwiches and my FAVORITE French Vanilla coffee! A perfect way to end a great run and a fun experience!
Then there was a first annual football game...
yes, they are trying to brainwash my kids and yes, bunny ears never get old!
Peace-out Lefty!
Love watching Lefty draw up plays on his hands and tell everyone what to do!
Like HE even knows what he's doing!
After a lot of talking to, Alan carved the turkey for me...as I was getting the rest of the meal ready. Guess in Scotland, it's not proper to carve the turkey in someone else's house. It's considered rude! I gave him the knife and told him "We are NOT in Scotland anymore...GET CARVING!"
We FINALLY used the dishes we got from Erik's Grandma about 10 years ago! Thanks to his Mom and her husband for the wonderful center piece they sent us for the special day! I felt like a "REAL" grow-up!
Can you believe it?
Our kids are FINALLY old enough to eat at the "kids only" table!
Looks like SOMEONE LOVED Auntie Katie's MEAL!
How can you not LOVE this kid?

We had the best Thanksgiving! It's the first one I haven't had to travel for, minus the one where I just had a baby. The food was delicious, and the company was outstanding! The kids played SO well and were able to play outside for most of the vacation. That makes a BIG difference when 10 people are all in one house for 7 days and you are all not on top of one another! Next year it will be our turn to go to New Orleans, unless someone puts in their reservation at the inn early enough! (:

Now we are all really looking forward to seeing family at Christmas! I'm sure the next month will crawl by!

1 comment:

AnnMarie & Nick said...

Looks like it was fun! Like the center piece and love the wine:)