Friday, April 11, 2014

Most Expensive Field Trip EVER!

I'm just putting this out there.  I volunteer too much.  I am always helping my boys, helping school, church, and at the ballpark.  If I took as much time for myself as I do for others, I would prob look like a supermodel. But...I don't.  I enjoy volunteering.   I use all my extra time for other people.  I am trying to find a balance...one that works for all of us.  I'm not there yet...but this lesson I'm sure happened for a reason!

Curtis' class was going on a field trip.  They need volunteers.  Usually there is this HUGE demand and it's filled instantly.  Most years, they pick names out of a hat.  This year, they redistricted our neighborhood and a few others to another school. Some people are happy, some are mad, some are livid.  Getting volunteers is now like pulling teeth.  Long story short.  Only one parent stepped up to volunteer.  On Monday, the day before the field trip, they were in need of another parent or two.  Curtis said the teacher told him they would cancel the trip if they didn't get any more parents.  I wrote her an email and said I'm happy to do it, but would have to bring my 5 year old along as well.  Monday afternoon, they sent me an email and confirmed that I would be going.

Monday night I was running around like crazy getting groceries, lunches packed, book bags packed, and the car packed with other things.  This field trip was in Asheboro North Carolina at the Zoo.  It's about an hour and forty five minutes away. We had to leave at 6:10am and we were suppose to return at 3:30pm.  A friend took Johnny home from school for me and watched him.  From School, we then had to get up to church by 4:15pm for the live Stations of the Cross that my fourth grade Faith Formation Class I am teaching was doing.  Then, after that, we had to RUSH to grab a bite to eat, and get back to school for the Spring Musical where Curtis was one of leads in the play.  BUSY, BUSY, BUSY....but it's only one day, and I could handle it.

I got up at 4:30am.  I was so organized. Car packed...showered...made breakfasts, got kids ready, etc.  We got to school in time.  This is where it gets good.  I had to drive myself to the field trip.  Then, once we got there, I had to pay for Bubba and I to get in.  No big deal. After that, there was a Bugz Exhibit and we had to pay EXTRA to get into that.  Not a huge deal. But...my volunteer position was now costing me over $100 with gas, and admission charges.

The classes were late leaving the zoo and so now we weren't expected at school until 4:00pm.  I was going to be late for the Stations of the Cross.  I got in my car and set the cruise for 5mph over the speed limit-70mph. Bubba was chilling in the back seat and I was talking to an old friend on the phone.  Then, it happened,  I saw flashing lights in the mirror.  I pull over.  I've NEVER been pulled over.  The officer was NOT nice.  He was super arrogant and stern.  He asked why I was in such a hurry and where I was going?  I told him I was volunteering at a class field trip to the zoo and was going back to Charlotte to volunteer at church.  I apologized that I was going 5mph over. He asked for my license and registration. He came back and slapped me with a $223 speeding ticket. Seriously...I have never gotten pulled over...or a ticket before and he didn't even give me a warning. Just a hefty fine.  I am steaming b/c didn't know in NC the speed limit was 55mph on the hwy, not 65 like in MN. So, yes, I did break the law.  But seriously...I didn't know I was, and I have NOTHING on my record.  Not even a warning.

 I get to church at 4:30pm and am late and pissy.  I do the stations with the classes, and then bust it over to school.  Curtis did an AWESOME job in the musical and my day was slowly getting better.  When I crawled into bed that night, I was exhausted, and reflecting on my day.  Decided this was God's way of telling me to slow down, and step back from trying to "do it all."  I was ready to start fresh the next day and fell asleep very quickly.

That was until the kids started waking up one by one with the stomach flu in the middle of the night. And that's what life is like with kids. Very unpredictable.  You gotta roll with the punches. It makes for a good story now, but lets just say I wasn't smiling at 2am (:

THIS GIRL IS READY FOR SPRING BREAK!

No comments: