Friday, August 20, 2010

Try-Outs


This year, Curtis and Johnny want to play fall baseball. Living in a bigger city, means harder competition. So, tonight, we had to go to try-outs. Curtis has to try out for machine pitch. I think at this age, baseball should be for fun. I don't want my kids to be stressed out playing it, or worrying about it. Most importantly, I don't want an experience like try-outs, to leave a sour taste in their mouths. But, if they want to play sports here, this is what we must do. Curtis was SO excited ALL day long for his try-outs. (I on the other hand, had a stomach ache all day!) He had me lay out all of his baseball things while Bubba was sleeping, to make sure we didn't forget anything. The glove that he is using use to be my glove when I was younger. Before I used it, it was used by one of my Dad's players in the State Tournament back in the 80's! It is the BEST glove!
Here he is on our way out the door.
He looked SO old to me!
I was shocked at how official the try-outs were. The coaches all sat in the outfield with notebooks or laptops. The announced each kid by name and number. He was number 241 to try out. (Middle of the alphabet). Totally didn't expect it to be that big! (We definitely are NOT in Minnesota anymore!) Then he got 5 pitches, 3 ground balls, two pop flies, and had to run the bases. It went pretty fast and I was SO nervous...and he was TOTALLY fine! Here he is getting ready to field. We find out next weekend what team he is on. The one good thing about trying out, is the teams should be more even, as they know the abilities of each child!
The crew afterwards, on our way to get some Papa John's Pizza!

Fingers and Toes are crossed about making the team...but if nothing else, I'm very proud of him for trying out and hustling his hardest! And you better believe I let him know that!


No comments: